Great Britain/German Diplomatic Files - Box 32 Folder Titles List
The documents in the Great Britain/German Diplomatic Files are original evidence.
They are presented here in both original and text converted formats,
although in general, Maps, Charts, Tables and Photographs were not
converted into text. Text documents are "keyword" searchable,
but have been edited from the orignal, meaning that handwriting
and signatures has been deciphered, and OCR errors have been corrected.
Original documents serve as snapshots in time, and also as
touchstones by which the researcher can judge the text conversions.
**Click on a folder title to view list of original documents**
Germany: Oct. 1944-45 (i298) Index
Germany: William E. Dodd: 1933-35 (i299) Index
- Correspondences, memos, reports, maps, and listings dated between 9/25/44 and 4 /6/45; correspondents include FDR, John Boettiger, Edward Stettinius, Henry Morgenthau, Joseph Crew, and others.
- Topics included: European Advisory Commission, Psychological Warfare Division o f SHAEF, objectives of Allied Occupation of Germany, Economic Treatment of Germany, Protection of Prisoners of War, and others.
Germany: William E. Dodd: 1936-38 (i300) Index
- Correspondences, reports, speeches, and a Nazi flyer dated 10/5/33 and 12/15/35 ; correspondents include FDR, William Dodd, Cordell Hull, Robert Walton Moore, and others
- Topics included: "The Dilemma In The United States", the proposed German Commis sion, general military and militaristic situations, social orders in the United States, and others.
Germany: Hugh R. Wilson: March-Nov. 1938 (i301) Index
- Correspondences, reports, memos, and German newspaper articles dated between 1/ 14/36 and 1/22/38; correspondents include FDR, William Dodd, Robert Walton Moore, Cordell Hull, and Sumner Welles.
- Topics included: Program of the National Socialist Party, Foreign Policy of the National Socialist Party, "blunders" of democracy in Europe, news briefs from Germany, German feeling about Hitler and a possible war, "German Impressions", and others.
Diplomatic Corresp. Great Britain: 1933-36 Index
- Correspondences, memos, and reports dated between 3/3/38 and 11/29/38; correspo ndents include FDR, Hugh Wilson, Sumner Welles, Cordell Hull, Harry Hopkins, Aubrey Williams, and Harry Woodring
- Topics included: Conversation with Reich Minister of Propaganda Dr. Goebbels, i ssue of helium, a detailed description and summary of the German organization, "Strength Through Joy", Nazi Party Congress, and others.
Diplomatic Corresp. Great Britain: 1937-38 Index
- Correspondence and memoranda dated between 4/7/33-12/28/36.Correspondentsinclude: FDR, Cordell Hull, Norman H. Davis, King George, R.D. Lindsay, Robert W. Bingham, William Phillips, D.G. Osborne, Samuel I. Roseman, Henry Morgenthau.
- Topics: Commerce and Navigation Treaty with Great Britain; alternative approaches to debt agreement with Great Britain; proposal of British government to suspend Jewish immigration into Palestine.
- Correspondence and memoranda dated between 3/20/37-12/30/38. Correspondents
- include: FDR, Cordell Hull, Norman H. Davis, King George, R.D. Lindsay,
- Robert W. Bingham
- Topics: Commerce and Navigation Treaty with Great Britain; alternative
- approaches to debt agreement with Great Britain; proposal of British
- government to suspend Jewish immigration into Palestine.
- Correspondence, reports and memorandum dated between 9/20/38-12/25/39
- Correspondents Include: Welles, Merriman, Halifax, FDR, The British Embassy, Summerlin, Chamberlain, Burnham, Helm, Lord Lothian, Hull and watson.
- Topics Include: The King and quuen's trip to New York, Poland's and Germany's situation in the war during aforementioned dates, and personal correspondence to and from FDR.