The documents in the Safe Files are original evidence.
They are presented here in both original and text converted formats,
although in general, Maps, Charts, Tables and Photographs were not
converted into text. Text documents are "keyword" searchable,
but have been edited from the orignal, meaning that handwriting
and signatures has been deciphered, and OCR errors have been corrected.
Original documents serve as snapshots in time, and also as
touchstones by which the researcher can judge the text conversions.
**Click on a folder title to view list of original documents**
Marshall, George C. 4/15/42 - 1944 Index
- Correspondence, reports, and maps dated between 3/10/41 and 4/13/42; correspondents included FDR, Gen. Marshall, Eisenhower, Harriman, Hopkins, Stimson, and others.
- Topics included: Shipping Adjustment, Testing of Destroyer Type Radar, Analysis of Aircraft programs, Study of European Operations
Navy Department 1934 - Feb. 1942 Index
- Correspondence and memorandum dated between 10/7/41 and 10/7/42; correspondents included FDR, Kirk, Burns, and others.
- Topics included: Military action reports, Formation of Inspection Committee
Navy Department Mar. - Sept. 1942 Index
- Correspondence, press release, reports, and maps dated between 5/28/34 and 2/19/42; correspondents included FDR, Cudahy, Adm. Stark, Frank Knox, and others.
- Topics included: Details of Attack by Task Force Eight, Division of Naval Intelligence, Naval Strength in Latin America, Comparison of US-British views of the war
Navy Department "Plan Dog" Index
- Photographs, correspondence, memoranda, and reports dated between 3/9/42 and 10/16/42; correspondents included FDR, Adm. Leahy, Frank Knox, Hopkins, and others.
- Topics included: Selection of unofficial selection board, Reported contacts, Series of photographs of Islands in Pacific.
- Correspondence and memorandum dated between 11/12/40 and 2/20/56; correspondents included L.J. Darter, Jr. and Herman Kahn
- Topic included: Plan Dog
New Zealand Index
- Correspondence and reports dated between 11/11/39 and 6/11/42; correspondents with FDR, Gordon, Welles, Kennedy, Winant, and others.
- Topics included: The care of Prince and Princess Bernard's children in US by Roosevelts.
North Africa Index
- Correspondence, memorandum, and report dated between 2/11/42 and 2/17/42; correspondents included FDR, Welles, and Gen. Arnold.
- Topic included: New Caledonia
- Memoranda dated between 12/26/41 and 1/9/42
- Topic included: French invitation to US and Britain to occupy and defend North Africa.
Office of Strategic Services March. 1944 Index
- Correspondence dated between 4/24/41 and 9/18/41; correspondents include FDR, W.S. Anderson, Dan Callaghan, J.R. Beardall, and others.
- Topic: Norwegian Operations in WWII. Office of Strategic Services "M" Project Charts 1943- The O.S.S. is the predecessor of the Central Intelligence Agency (C.I.A.). "M" stands for the Migration and Settlement Project. (These materials were oversized and could not be digitized. They are available at the FDR Library in Hyde Park, New York.)
Office of Strategic Services April 1944 - 1945 Index
- Correspondence and memoranda dated between 10/6/43 and 3/30/44; correspondents include Donovan and FDR.
- Topics included: SI Plan for China and SE Asia, Himmler, Treatment of Russian prisoner in German prison camps
Outline Plans for Specific Operations: Azores Index
- Correspondence and report dated between 4/3/44 and 6/24/44; correspondents include FDR,William Donovan, Grace Tully, and Harry S. Truman.
- Topics included: Current  News in China, Partisans in Jugoslavia, O.S.S.
- Report and maps dated 5/16/43
- Topic: Seizure of Peaceful Occupation of the Azores